Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bear

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#11 chaddeus

chaddeus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

Interesting piece of info that the fur is clear. . . I still wonder why they still look white against rock formations at zoos and whatnot. What color is the skin?

#12 peachykeen

peachykeen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:55 PM

Actually, it doesnt matter what color the bear's skin is. We see the color of something because it absorbs a certain wavelength of light in the visible region and reflects the rest of the light back, therefore causing us to see the color of the reflected light. Simply put, a dandelion would absorb blue light, and reflect back the yellow light. Because the polar bear's fur is clear, it therefore has nothing to absorb light and reflects back all colors of light, which means we see white!

#13 perion666

perion666

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

White? I was thinking green... since it was running in circles...

#14 mathemagister

mathemagister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

lol!

#15 twittbrod

twittbrod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:11 AM

Whoa. Very rarely do I encounter people who know that a polar bear's fur is indeed clear and that the properties of the hair reflect and refract light in such a way as to make it appear white, especially when surrounded by snow. However, the question does not ask what color is the bear's fur. It asks, what color is the bear? And generally speaking, despite the clear hair feature, the polar bear does indeed appear to be white in color in most any surroundings (except zoos where fungus turns the fur green - sad :(

Since it is a polar bear than wouldn’t the answer be clear not white because a Polar bear’s fur is in fact clear?

- You do not have to be faster than the bear, just fast than the slowest guy running from the bear :D

You could also make the argument that the bear is black. After all, we don't describe humans' color by out hair color, but rather our skin color.

#16 mathemagister

mathemagister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:30 AM

I thought polar bear's skin is white and their fur is clear.

#17 Cernunnos

Cernunnos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:02 AM

I doubt very much this was made by the great man himself as he would have known that if you were stood at the North Pole then no matter which way you ran it would always be South.
:rolleyes:

#18 mathemagister

mathemagister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

I don't think it was either. As someone showed, this has been around for ages.

#19 FiOS-Dave

FiOS-Dave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

Was this the true north pole or the magnetic north pole.
Pleas don't decline to answer...

Dave B))

#20 audioman8869

audioman8869

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

Ive read thru the quotes, and "What color is the bear?" could be referring to any depth of the bear's "layers" (white/clear fur, black skin, pink muscle, ect.) so i say the bear's color (as seen with the naked eye) is white. And yes, a polar bear does actually have black skin, though not the same color as crayola black. If the hair was clear, it wouldnt reflect all colors of light, hence producing a "white" color, because clear doesnt reflect anything, it lets visible light pass thru.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users