Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Neighbors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny 99

Johnny 99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

Easy. Got it in about 20 minutes, & yes- it did remind me of sudoku

#42 blondelefty

blondelefty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:13 AM

I was sent this riddle by email that may have been a little clearer than the one some of you had. Mine clearly stated:

There are no tricks, just pure logic.....

1. In a street there are five houses, painted five different colours.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality
3. These five homeowners each drink a different kind of beverage, smoke a different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

The 4th question in the riddle read as:
#4 The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house

With that being said, I spent several hours on this and was thoroughly entertained, sometimes frustrated. My husband, staring at the TV watching some reality show, asked me why I waste my time on something like this? Wasnt even worth an answer. I worked my way down the questions until I had a positive answer such as "The man living in the center house drinks milk"; then went to "The Norwegian lives in the first house". That kind of had me stumped as I drew five houses in a row across the paper and wondered, which is the first house. Is it the one on the far left or on the far right? Sometimes I am too anal. Then I managed to piece in the next clue "The Norwegian lives next to the blue house". I was sort of stumped on the next question (I felt would be best answered next) "The Green house is next to, and on the left of the White house" as I felt that could go in several places. So I changed my graph of houses to 3 rows of 5 houses trying each scenerio out and after about 4 hours I got it. I am very proud of myself. My brain has be rejuvinated and I feel smarter than a 5th grader. hahahaha

#43 jolly_mutant

jolly_mutant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

this might sound pretty stupid... but how bout the brit??? .... staple dish -FISH and chips :P

#44 antimony

antimony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:24 AM

Spoiler for i got it...

Edited by antimony, 31 January 2008 - 07:29 AM.

#45 Smarty

Smarty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:35 AM

i could guess it similar...ref the attached.

Attached Images

• solution.jpg

#46 i_love_brain_teasers

i_love_brain_teasers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

I sorta had this little voice in me that said it never said anything about the fish in the whole list of rules or whatever you call it. But if it has to be that way it is sorta pointless because i figure that most ppl not just 2% of the world's pop would probably thought of that. Anyway i would like to know what einstein meant by the 'real answer' cause according to me there are like at least three correct and totally revilant answers. although ill like to know is this the case for all logic riddles and teasers?? o_O

o yeah and working it out by those 15 statements was quite easy. Guessed most of them. hehe. :D

#47 TheCJ

TheCJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

This puzzle CAN be solved with the information given. (Assuming, of course, that the last animal is indeed a fish.)

Having spent 20 minutes on this, I came up with exactly the same answer as the solution.
I feel quite proud of myself (haha).. although I am a member of Mensa.
I've never done one of these before.. kept me entertained, thank you!

For those who gave up saying "The last animal does not have to be a fish" or "The statements did not say each man had one pet" etc. Assume these things and then try to work through the puzzle.

#48 DrZeus77

DrZeus77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:03 AM

If in fact this "puzzle" was presented to a group EXACTLY as it appears in the original posting, there is only one way to answer.

If you have fish at home, you can answer: "I do."

EDIT:

The "original posting" I'm referring to is the one posted on the actual site - NOT in the forums. The one on the site reads like this:

Neighbours

This quiz was made up by Albert Einstein and according to him 98% will not solve it.
There is a row of five houses, each having a different colour. In these houses live five people of various nationalities. Each of them nurtures a different beast, likes different drinks and smokes different brand of cigars.

1. The Brit lives in the Red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The Green house is on the left of the White house.
5. The owner of the Green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the Yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes Blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the Blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.

Who has fish at home?
(are you one of the 2%).

Edited by DrZeus77, 11 April 2008 - 07:07 AM.

#49 TySim

TySim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

You ever hear that saying that if you gave a million monkeys typewriters and let them randomly hit keys eventually one will reproduce a shakspearean play.... (I know that is slightly modified)

The internet, with the help of these forums, has proven that that is a false assumption.....

This logic puzzle is extremely old. There is no "trick" to it as people believe.
At the time of creation, it is true that only 2% of the population of the world would have been able to answer.
The reason it was considered so difficult back then was that it was 6 deep, where most people had trouble with 3 deep.
We have come a long way since then.
The Answers go like this, numbering the house 1 through 5 going left to right

House 1
Norwegian, Yellow, Dunhill, Water, Cats
House 2
Dane, Blue, Tea, Blends, Horses
House 3
Brit, Red, Milk, Pall Mall, Birds
House 4
German, Green, Coffee, Prince, Fish
House 5
Swede, White, Beer, Blue Master, Dogs

Until such time as we can communicate with Telepathy, EVERY puzzle will have an alternate answer along the lines of "missing information" or "you did not specify"
That is because spoken and written language is not a perfect form of communication.

Instead of trying to tear apart the problem, try applying your brain power to solve it.

Attacking is easy, solving is not.... Just look at politics :lol:

#50 Zutara21

Zutara21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:57 PM

What if I viewed this problem and after careful consideration and placing one thing after another, I got the same answer??

Yet, it is true that the animals, cigarettes, colors, ect. mentioned in the next view lines could have nothing to do with the five houses. It could be that they are of other nationalities and the fact that these were mentioned make it seem that they are inter-related. It never says that: "Below is a list to help you decipher who lives where. Never does it spell out that the below statements have anything to do with the houses in question.

But very interesting question, and it did rack my brain. ^^

I wish you didn't put up the answer right away to give us more time to guess... that would have been fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users