Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Neighbors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

#21 umairnk

umairnk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:44 AM

All those who have the excuse that the reason they couldn't solve the riddle was that the question wasn't clearly expressed are wrong.
Judging that Fish was the fifth pet was but a common sense and a part of the riddle. If you couldn't judge even this, then its not surprising that you aren't in the 2%.

Secondly some claim that the point 'The Green house is on the left of the White house' is misleading, they are also wrong. This point is as clear as a crystal.
Infact even if you don't take Green house to be the next house on the left of White house, still you can find a solution. This solution is different from the solution given in this thread, and i found it and it matches every data in the riddle.

#22 Dreaken667

Dreaken667

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:28 AM

Personally, I believe the reason why it was believed that 98% of the population would not figure out the solution is due to the fact that the "solution" requires certain assumptions to be made and agreed upon. The issue isn't that only 2% of the population could follow the logic and deduce an answer to the problem. It's that only 2% of the population could agree upon the assumptions being made and therefore reach a reasonable conclusion to the problem. The fact that there are two viable solutions to this puzzle based on different assumptions lends to the fact that the assumptions must be agreed upon for either solution to be considered valid. The fact that so many people have picked this puzzle apart and came to the conclusion that there is no answer is testament to this.

#23 brainiac

brainiac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 02:14 PM

house 1 house 2 house 3 house 4 house 5
Norwegian German brit dane swede
bird fish horse cat dog
coffee water milk tea beer
pall mall prince blends dunhill blue masters
green blue red yellow white

i don't understand what the previous posts mean about it cant be solved with the given information?
don't know when the next time ill be on this site will be but if someone could shed some light on why its not solvable or if i did it wrong i would appreciate it.

#24 dhjellen

dhjellen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

to brainiac:

The simple answer is that there are two groups of people. Group one will not be able to solve it correctly. Group two will be able to solve it correctly. So if you ask someone who is in group one, they will tell you there is no solution or multiple solutions. If you ask someone from group two, they will tell you there is a "correct" solution.

GROUP ONE: Some people enter sites like this under the premise that all of the puzzles are designed to use evasive wording to trick you or lead you towards the wrong solution. These are the people who are leaving posts saying they solved this puzzle another way or that it cannot be solved.

GROUP TWO: Some people enter sites like this under the premise that some of the questions represent the type of puzzle described in the "GROUP ONE" paragraph and some represent logic puzzles. These people think that question stems in the logic puzzles are meant to be taken literally and worked through logically (even if the wording is not perfect). These are the people who are saying that this puzzle is solvable. Personally, I am in the second group (see my previous post on page 2).

Regarding THIS puzzle, it seems pretty clear that the wording was meant to be taken literally and not meant to be deceptive or open to extensive interpretation. This seems clear because if you do take the wording literally there is a solution that basic deductive reasoning will lead you to - as you discovered.

Personally, I do not fully understand the reasons why the people in the first group choose to avoid solving the puzzle through its intended process. I suspect that a proportion of the people in the first group are choosing to view the question stem in logic puzzles (like this one) as open to extensive interpretation because it allows them to avoid the failure from being unable to solve them. So instead of saying "I can't solve this one," or "I'll come back later and try harder," they say "well, I haven't been able to solve it [the right way], so perhaps I can find a flaw in the wording, say there is no solution, make myself feel better, and go on with my life avoiding a failure here." I also suspect that there is a proportion of the people in the first group who honestly just don't get the diffference between the types of puzzles that have wording which is meant to be open to extensive interpretation and the types of puzzles that have wording which is not meant to be open to extensive interpretation. Regardless of the reasons why people in group one choose to view these logic puzzles the way they do, it seems pretty clear that they are convinced that they are right and are unwilling or unable to receive information presented in postings such as this one.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

#25 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5777 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:49 PM

to brainiac:

The simple answer is that there are two groups of people.
I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Quite right. But this is an old result, first popularized by K Barth.
Spoiler for ...

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#26 sianzkia

sianzkia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

I don't think only 2% can solve this. It doesn't even require trail and error, can be solved purely from whats written. (with the help of a 5X6 graph)

But then, I heard somewhere that the brains of humans are getting smaller generation after generation. Does IQ change accordingly?

#27 Ken69

Ken69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:57 AM

I'm positive I'm not near as smart as most of you folks. But I take a lot of pride in figuring this out. Unfortunatly, it took me about 4 hours (on and off) but woohoo!!! I got it right. Sure beats sitting in front of the idiot box. Can't wait to try some more. As far the the debate on the assumptions.... Man, I must have been too stupid to even realize there were options. I just solved what my mind's eye seen.

#28 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

I've seen and solved many puzzles like this, and I've also come across puzzle of this type that I seemed unable to solve. But if I get a question about who has fish for pets, whereas there is no mention of fish for pets in any of the statements, I assume that the question IMPLIES that one of them owns fish for pets, and it's your task to find out who it is.

Therefor if one person remains whose pet is unknown, that's the person who has fish for pets.

I believe there is no rule saying that this isn't allowed, and in fact, many of these puzzles ARE impossible to solve without such implied information. It's PART of the puzzle, to see if you're using your brain! If you can't solve it, you didn't squeeze all the available information out of every word of the puzzle.

That may also have been what Einstein meant to say when he said that maybe 2% might be able to solve it. Those two percent at least dare to see the implied information. The rest just assumes this information is non-existent.

At least, that's what I make of it.

BoilingOil

#29 Slyk

Slyk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:32 AM

4. The Green house is on the left of the White house.

i have to agree with JQST in that the wording on this hint is just too ambiguous to claim only one logical meaning. it seems that the answer hinges on these houses being directly next to each other, and yet there is no good reason to assume that they must be based on the given wording... leading to unnecessary confusion.

this led me to work the problem through once under the aforementioned assumption, and then attempt to do so a superfluous and uneventful second time to be certain that the assumption was requisite for a solution (which it appears to be).

how bout...

4. The Green house is directly on the left of the White house.

i was originally puzzled by this as well, and so, early on in my solving i had a "?" as to the location of the two buildings. However, if you work through the problem, you find out that "The man living in the centre house drinks milk." After doing deductive reasoning, you end up finding out that the order given as a solution on here, is in fact the only correct answer. I believe that the author (einstein, or not) intentionally left that questionable wording in there to get people to think harder, knowing that it was 100% solvable if you kept at it.

#30 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:38 AM

i was originally puzzled by this as well, and so, early on in my solving i had a "?" as to the location of the two buildings. However, if you work through the problem, you find out that "The man living in the centre house drinks milk." After doing deductive reasoning, you end up finding out that the order given as a solution on here, is in fact the only correct answer. I believe that the author (einstein, or not) intentionally left that questionable wording in there to get people to think harder, knowing that it was 100% solvable if you kept at it.

This is exactly how these puzzles work, Slyk. Some things are easy to assume or interpret, others need to be verified to make sure you have made the right assumption. I saw the same thing in the wording "this ship lies to the left (or right) of that ship" in the ships puzzle. In the end it actually appeared to mean "this ship lies DIRECTLY to the left (or right)of that ship" in ALL occuring cases. This need not to be always true, though.

This happens often and I think it may be intentional, as part of the puzzle. OTher wordings might make it too easy to solve, maybe.

BoilingOil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users